Your pipes are the veins of your plumbing system, and increasing their lifespan is the best way to make sure your entire system works better and lasts longer. Form your morning shower till the time you brush your teeth at night, you use your pipes. Over time, it’s impossible for them not to experience some wear and tear. Fortunately, you can protect your pipes all on your own through a few simple steps. Keep reading to learn more, and make sure to hire All City Plumbing for plumbing repairs, as well as drain and sewer services.
The Top 5 Ways to Make Your Pipes Last Longer Are:
- Reduce Your Water Pressure: Your water pressure should not be higher than 85 PSI (pounds per square inch.) If your water pressure is too high, you can wear out your pipes and connections faster, and even cause bursting. Keep a water pressure gauge on your system to prevent this from happening, and if your water pressure continues to be high even after you adjust it, make sure to call a plumber.
- Clean Your Drains Properly: Regular drain cleaning is the most effective way to clear gunk and blockages out of your lines and make sure they last as long as possible. Build-up in your drains can lead to leaky or bursting pipes, so it is best to have them cleared out several times a year. While you may be tempted to do this with a chemical drain cleaner, you should actually avoid using any store-bought products, as over-the-counter drain cleaners often contain harmful chemicals that may actually wear down your pipes faster.
- Deal with Leaks ASAP: While you may think a small leak isn’t a big deal, even tiny leaks can grow into a major problem. If you hear that drip-drip coming from your pipes, call All City Plumbing for water leak detection immediately, and avoid repiping later.
- Avoid Flushing Tough Materials: Even though most people know not to flush solid materials down their toilet, there are still many items out there that are deceptively easy to flush. Wet wipes, for instance, shouldn’t be flushed no matter what the label says. These items often create choke-points in your pipes that cause back-up, and can eventually force you to pay for burst pipe repair.
- Watch Out for Slow Drains: The thing about slow drains is that they can be a symptom of most of the aforementioned problems, and should always be dealt with immediately. If your drains are slow, there is a good chance you have a clog on your hands. Any blockage can cause serious problems if neglected long enough, so try to plunge or snake them out on your own, and if the problem persists, make sure to call our plumbing pros. We know how to deal with toilet clogs and more, and keep your pipes flowing properly for as long as possible.
For more on pipe protection, dial (909) 552-7550 now, or send us a message online.